a sense of achievement
This week, I felt so loved by my classes. All I had to do was to return scripts and for students to check the tabulation of marks. As it was the last time I would get to meet them as a class, naturally, I said my "final words" to them - telling them that I hoped I've inspired some passion for the Humanities subject; and that they feel that they've learnt something from me in these short 4 months.
The response? Extremely touching.
My 2/3 [the rowdiest & sometimes-attitude class] turned out to be the sweetest. As I greeted them thank you at the end of the lesson, this was their response:
"Thank you Ms Yeo,
Goodbye Ms Yeo,
We LOVE you Ms Yeo!"
I was so pleasantly surprised! And secretly touched. Of course I didn't show them that. Hah. All I did was give them a mock shiver and said, "ooh I have goosebumps now." Which led to them bursting out in laughter. But I did have a silly smile that lasted the entire day.
I guess one reason why I was so touched was because I felt that I had the least rapport with them; they were the class where I had to spend 3 mins before the start of each lesson telling them to please return to your seats before you greet me. And I could sense some attitude from them. Yet, that morning, none of them gave me that..all of them were so excited and pleased and crowded around me.
What they said really, really buoyed my spirits.
Then in another class, after the end of the lesson, two of them came up to me and said they had something to speak to me about. And this was what they said, "Ms Yeo, we want to tell you that we really enjoyed your lessons a lot. Thank you for everything."
Another smile. Twice in one day - how fantastic!
And my 2/1 - some sweet and lovely ones too. When I asked them [as a class] which classes were they going to opt for in sec3, as usual - there were responses from every corner of the class - I heard a number of them saying "Ms Yeo's class! I want to get into Ms Yeo's class!!" *sniff* Plus after my final-words speech, the entire class CHEERED. Like clapped. I was so embarrassed I had to tell them to stop making so much noise. Hah.
What a very lovely week this has been. And these will be the things that keeps me going; that makes me want to work for them; and that lets me love what I'm doing.
To my sec2 students - I've really enjoyed each moment I had with you, and I hope, we'll never forget each other (:
No comments:
Post a Comment